Norfolk County Courthouse & Gaol

The Norfolk County Library and County Offices now sit where the original courthouse and gaol were located in the 1800s.

The original court-house was built in 1842, and the gaol was designed by the prominent Toronto architect William Thomas, was constructed in 1848. Following a fire in 1863 which destroyed the court-house, the present structure was designed by John Turner of Brantford and completed the following year. The gaol and the new court-house were both constructed by Jackson Bros., local buildings. The court-house with tall round-headed windows, corner tower and accentuated masonry is typical of the Italianate style in the province at that time. In 1861, a county office was erected on the square’s south corner and in 1893 a new structure replaced an earlier north corner office. Architecturally, the court-house, gaol, and registry offices constitute an almost unrivalled grouping of public buildings in Ontario.

Address: 

Colbourne Street and Peel Street, Simcoe, ON

Additional information: 

There is a historical plaque located at Colbourne Street and Peel Street in front of the Norfolk County offices and library that describes the old courthouse and gaol.

© 2017 LPRCA. All Rights Reserved.