Normandale Union Hotel & Post Office

Old Union Hotel in Normandale

The Normandale Post Office built in the late 1830’s by Joseph and Benjamin Van Norman.  The Van Norman brothers purchased the property from Joseph Tisdale in 1833 and Joseph bought Benjamin’s half of the property in 1839.  It originally was both a post office/general store and residence for the post master and his family. The village of Normandale was the creature of the first iron foundry in Upper Canada. The Van Norman foundry turned out castings of all kinds, which soon became famous for the quality of the iron. Its best known products were possibly the stoves, particularly the justly celebrated Van Norman cooking stove as it is called in an advertisement from 1838.

The former Normandale Post office is a small one and a half storey wood frame structure with attic space under the main gable roof forming a second storey. A small one storey entrance vestibule on the west elevation and dormer windows on the west and east elevations have been added at a later date. The new foundation is concrete, but was originally fieldstone. The exterior finish of the building is wood clapboards with wood corner boards, windows and door trim. The original wood shingle rood has been replaced with asphalt shingles. The post office originally boasted a one storey porch across the main façade, with a low slope wood shingle roof supported by four square wood columns. Simpler in design than the columns of the adjacent Union Hotel, these columns reflected the corresponding simplicity of the Post Office’s design. Together with the adjacent Union Hotel, the Normandale Post Office successfully anchored the main intersection of the village, thus providing a visual focus to the community. 

Address: 

2318 Front Road, Normandale, ON

© 2017 LPRCA. All Rights Reserved.